Saturday, April 25, 2009

Perez Hilton On Celeb Culture and Blogging...

What differences between the British and American celebrity scenes have you noticed?
Perez Hilton: There’s a lot more reality TV stars who are famous in the UK. Celebrity culture as a whole is a very aspirational thing and here it’s a lot more attainable, because you have all these reality TV stars who are famous, all those Wags – anyone can date a soccer stud. And I think in the UK people here like their stars to be real and more flawed. You don’t need that image of perfection.

Why did you start blogging about celebrities in the first place?
Perez Hilton: Because I didn’t want to write about myself.

Haven’t you found yourself doing that anyway?
Perez Hilton: Erm, not as much as I write about celebrities.

How do you explain the general obsession at the moment with celebrity culture?
Perez Hilton: I don’t think it’s anything new – I think people have always been obsessed with it. I just think that celebrity news has become more mainstream now because it’s so profitable, so everyone is talking about it.

If you could change one thing about celebrity culture, what would it be?
Perez Hilton: Um. Good question. I wish there was a way to make it more universal. I would love to have more characters to write about and more people to write about. You know, I try to keep up with the UK celebrities, but it would be good to see what’s going on with celebrities everywhere, worldwide.

So do you find yourself writing about the same celebrities over and over again?
Perez Hilton: Well the good thing is, I get to write about whomever I want, so it’s not just the same ones, but still, you could always use more.

Via Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment